Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Invitation to Serve as an Economic Development Volunteer in Uganda

It was so exciting to finally receive my official invitation packet. It came on March 21st, 2011 in a big white Tyvek envelope delivered by UPS...not the USPS, which I found ironic. Even the government doesn't trust the US Mail.
The Invitation Packet of Material
There are lots of instructions and steps to take - some within 7 days. I had to formally accept the invite. I had to complete several forms to get a New Peace Corps Passport. I had to complete several forms for Visas to enter Uganda as well as Kenya....still not sure why I need a Kenyan visa...there is no real back & forth communication. I had to tailor my resume to my new assignment in Uganda and complete several questions to submit as my Aspiration Statement. I also was directed to an online resource - the Uganda Welcome Book. This is 100 pages and gives a great overview of serving in the Peace Corps in Uganda.

I leave August 3rd, 2011 for 2 days of Staging & Orientation - either in Philadelphia or Washington DC. I then go to Uganda for 10 weeks of Pre-Service Training. During this time I will be assigned one of the 40+ native languages to learn and be oriented to the cultural norms of Ugandan society. I will also have intensive training on safety & security procedures. My assignment will formally begin October 15, 2011 and will end 2 years later on October 15, 2013.

Uganda Econ Development Assignment Booklet
I have worked my way through the first major tasks and now I am focused on the Folders on Finance, Insurance and Staging. I am also starting to get my packing list together. I can bring 2 suitcases weighing 80 pounds total and a carry-on.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karla! I'm heading to Uganda in August as an economic development volunteer as well! Can't wait to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karla,

    Was looking at my blog stats yesterday and saw a ridiculous number of referrals coming from your blog.

    Congrats on your invitation, we'll see you in August.

    ReplyDelete