Thursday, June 30, 2011

Staging for Uganda - 8/2-8/3 in Philadelphia! Gifts....Anyone????

STAGING Yesterday I received the email stating I will depart for my Ugandan Vision Quest out of Philly - The City of Brotherly Love - Seems very appropriate!!!

I have completed most of my 1st round of packing and now have the task of weeding down piles to the real essentials - it will be fun to see if my box of Preference Hair Color makes the cut!!! Note: It is further up the line than a short wave radio, which I have elected to purchase in Uganda. 

I can bring 2 pieces of luggage (weighing no more than 80 lbs) and 2 carryons - So this will test my engineering skills!!! I am enjoying the challenge immensely!!!

I am approximately 30 days from leaving the comfort of warm showers, air conditioning and flushing toilets. I am excited for the change - I am a believer in getting uncomfortable in order to continue growing....I suppose this means I will be growing bacteria along with the other types of personal growth!!!!

The Little Red House has turned out to be a wonderful place to spend the last few months with my husband and dogs - and we have been lucky to have our 2 big, handsome and smart sons here for the weeks before I leave. I may sound like I am bragging but its true!!! See them below...

Me with my awesome sons - whom I love with all my heart!

They are on their own adventures and I enjoy knowing we are all connected across the universe by our family bond. Here is a picture of me and my husband - he is even better looking than the picture gives him credit for!!

Note his T-shirt from the Crescent City Classic 10K Race!

Yes - I am excited - anxious - a little scared and a little sad - moving away for 2 1/4 years has my mood transitioning from one to the other every 5 seconds!! I am enjoying the exhilaration of it!!!

GIFTS   OK - if you've made it this far I suppose you are my friend and really care - so if you want to give me something before I leave I have a Wish List on Amazon.com. Just go to Amazon and look to the top right where there is a shopping cart - next to it are the words "Wish List" - select the drop down and click"Wish List" - mid screen there will be a search box that has "Find Someone's Wish List" and enter my name or email.

Most items on my list are Kindle books that I want to load on my Kindle before I leave. I consider this a 2 year study on Africa from an internal perspective - So there are a lot of books on Africa on my list! In addition - if you want to give me a Kindle book, that you love, that is not on my list - that's even better - as I will be able to think of you while reading it in a far away sweaty place!

There are also some "non-digital / hard items" I want - mostly maps and travel guides - So if you are afraid to figure out how to give a Kindle book, you can send me a traditional solid gift.  I am flexible that way! For these you need to ship to my new Red House address - If you don't have it just call me or email me. I will need the "non-digital / hard items" in the next couple weeks in order to make sure they are here and get in my suitcase.

Thanks for reading ...stay tuned - LOVE Karla

1 comment:

  1. Best of Luck Karla! I love you!! Great pictures of you and the boys and Matt. I know they will miss you dearly. I miss you already. Big Hug and Kiss coming at you right now. XO, Margo

    ReplyDelete